The Ruined Valley

My Visual Effects Field Production class is attempting to recreate several shots from the trailer of The Mutant Chronicles. (Great trailer, lousy movie.) This is a photographic composite intended to replace this shot:

5_1 ELS Cliff Moon Soldiers

And my version (Click to enlarge):


The night sky, some of the midground mountains, the refinery, and the rocky arch were provided by and are used in accordance with that site's license.
The bridges were provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Original photo entitled "Bixby Canyon Bridge" by Cpt Albert E Theberg, NOAA Corps (Ret) is in the public domain.
I photographed all the other elements myself along the Peak to Peak Scenic Highway between Blackhawk and Estes Park, CO.

Looks like YouTube nixed the trailer for a Terms of Use violation. Too violent, I guess, though it really wasn't even as bloody as an episode of CSI, in my opinion.

CATAN: Seafarers advertisement

In Digital Typography, our final project was to create a two-page spread, a poster, an ad, and a web banner. This is my ad, peddling an expansion for the board game Settlers of Catan. I took the image of the game and the body copy from the back of the box, but I reproduced all the other elements myself. I was particularly proud of this piece; it looks just like something that Mayfair Games themselves would publish.

CATAN: Seafarers

Two Page Spread

A two-page spread for my Digital Typography class. The photos and body copy are credited in the image, though I don't recall off the top of my head where they originally came from. The headline typeface is Belwe, a readable but idiosyncratic Celtic-style font.

Two Page Spread
Two page spread

Karlsborg Fastning

Another Perspective and Proportion project. We were to illustrate a castle with strict perspective. This image is based on a photograph of Karlsborg Fortress in… Sweden, I think it was. I am not sure what part of the fortress the photograph shows. I suspect it's looking down the exterior of the Eastern Land Front wall at the corner tower, but I can't be certain.

The image is intended to accompany a map created by an acquantaince of mine with the screenname Hoel on the Cartographers' Guild. The map can be viewed here.

This one is all graphite pencils on cold-press illustration board.

Karlsborg Fastning
Karlsborg Fastning

Art Nouveau Poster — The Base of Natural Logarithms

In Digital Typography, we were to design a poster showcasing a single letter of the alphabet in either an Art Nouveau or Art Deco style. I dislike Deco, so I went with the former. Referencing a famous poster by Alphonse Mucha and borrowing copy from the blog Better Explained (highly recommended; the guy has a real gift for making difficult topics comprehensible), I created a poster that illustrates how e, the base of natural logarithms, describes growth rates. The Nouveau style, which typically uses naturalist imagery, was a good fit for the concept. The headline typeface is called Boecklin.

Based on a poster by Alphonse Mucha
Based on a poster by Alphonse Mucha.

Military Rover — Vehicle Design

In my Perspective & Proportion class, we were given the task of designing and rendering a vehicle using a particular technique of perspective. I'd had this notion of a vehicle hinged in the middle since I was a kid, so I drew that. I laid it out on several layers of tracing vellum in pencil, then transferred it to illustration board, inked it, and did the shading in Prismacolor grey markers. In the future, I need to get reference for suspension on construction vehicles and do more detailing. This looks more like a toy than a large machine.

Vehicle Design

Color Vibration

There is an optical illusion that can occur when highly saturated complementary colors are placed next to one another, particularly if the lines are thin, where it appears as though there is a line between the colors, even though no such line exists. This effect is called color vibration, and it is demonstrated in this representation of an orrery. A secondary purpose of the images is to show how changing around the colors can affect the perception of an image. The two orreries are identical in form and use the same color palette. Only the arrangement of colors has been changed, but the orrery on the left appears to stand out from its background, while the one on the right almost looks punched out of the background. To me, at any rate.

Color Vibration